Classical new releases at KWUR, 7/2010 edition
So it's now come to this: as of July 7, 2010, thanks to actions by the leaders of the Lutheran Church-MO Synod and Joy-FM best summarized by the ghost of Hamlet's father in line 27 of Act I, Scene 5 of Shakespeare's play, one station remains in St. Louis that broadcasts a locally hosted classical music show to any extent. For as long as I can, to recycle the cliche from my earlier KWUR blog post, I'll try to keep the flame going in St. Louis, with help from fellow KWUR DJ's as needed.
Some recent classical new CD releases being aired from KWUR include these:
* Blasco de Nebra: Piano Sonatas Nos. 1-6 with pianist Javier Perianes (harmonia mundi HMC 902046)
* Baltic Runes: choral music of Erik Bergman, Cyrillus Kreek, Sibelius, and Veljo Tormis, with Paul Hillier directing the Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir (harmonia mundi HMU 807485)
* Dvořák: Requiem/Symphony No. 8; with Mariss Jansons conducting the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, soloists Krassimira Stoyanova, Mihoko Fujimara, Klaus Florian Vogt and Thomas Quasthoff, and the Wiener Singverein (KCO Live, RCO 10001)
* Handel: "Handel in Darmstadt", with harpsichordist Geneviève Soly (Analekta AN 2 9121)
* "The Romantic Violin Concerto, Vol. 8", Henry Vieuxtemps, Violin Concertos Nos. 4 & 5 and the Fantasia appassionata: with Viviane Hagner and the Royal Flemish Philharmonic, conducted by Martyn Brabbins (Hyperion CDA 67798)
* "Revelation", solo harp music by Britten, Ginastera, Felix Godefroid, Hindemith, Caroline Lizotte, Ravel, Henriette Renié, and Carlos Salzedo; with harpist Valérie Milot (Analekta AN 2 9974)
As always, any comments are welcome, and please feel free to drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can IM me during my regular Saturday show (11 AM-2 PM). Thanks for reading.