Recent classical new releases at KWUR
With the pending (and thoroughly unwarranted and corrupt) demise of KFUO, 99.1 FM next month, that will leave one station left in St. Louis that will have any locally hosted classical music radio programming (both terrestial radio and internet[#]), namely this one. Classical music radio from KWUR has been a somewhat under-the-radar situation for quite a while, but with this turn of events, it is perhaps time to emerge a little bit more from under the radar. If anyone wishes to listen in, the classical show is normally on Saturdays from 11 AM to 2 PM, hosted by myself, barring pre-emption by sports or other circumstances. This is no substitute for 99.1 FM, of course, and I certainly can never fully fill the shoes of 99.1 FM. But I would like people to know that one local low-power student station is keeping the flame of locally based classical radio alive in St. Louis.
Some of the recent releases that KWUR has received include these recordings:
* Beethoven: Piano Trios, with the Gryphon Trio (Analekta AN 2 9858)
* Beethoven: Piano Concertos Nos. 4 & 5, with Till Fellner, Kent Nagano and the Montreal Symphony (ECM New Series 2114)
* Marco Dall'Aquila: "Pieces for Lute" (harmonia mundi HMU 907548)
* Ernst Krenek: "Six Motets After Texts of Franz Kafka" and other choral works (harmonia mundi HMC 902049)
* André Mathieu, Felix Mendelssoh, Dmitri Shostakovich: Concertos and Concertino, with pianist Alain Lefèvre (Analekta AN 2 9283)
* Frank Martin: Golgotha (harmonia mundi HMC 902056)
* Astor Piazzola & Luis Bacalov: "The Soul of Tango" (Delos DE 3345)
* "Telemann and the Baroque Gypsies", with the Ensemble Caprice (Analekta AN 2 9919)
* Matthias Weckmann: "Sacred Motets" (harmonia mundi HMC 902034)
* Oswald von Wolkenstein: "Songs of Myself" (harmonia mundi HMC 902051)
I'll continue to post lists of new classical recordings at KWUR as often as warranted. Feel free to comment or drop a line to email@example.com. Thanks for reading.
[#] Edit on 7/12/10: there is still internet classical music radio broadcasting from www.classic99.com, as of this date.