Avett Brothers-- I and Love and You
Well,for a band that sings so much about breaking hearts, they sure waited long enough to break mine. No more of that raucous energy I loved about them... downplaying banjo and guitar in favor of piano. No more of those harmonies that make you feel like crying and laughing at the same time. Well-produced and some tracks are very pretty. I wish them luck wooing a wider audience, I just wish it didn't come at the cost of what made me love them... that intimate feel, a little edginess, the sense of being on the edge of falling apart (a la the better Replacements albums). An album of very pretty and well-crafted PIANO MUSIC.
Thanks, Rick Rubin. Goodbye, North Carolina, Hello Brooklyn.
Harmonies have gotten broader and poppier, less high-off-lonesome (IE, less bluegrass).
All pretty Midtempo.
1. Pretty piano ballad. Title track.
2. great! banjo and longing and sweet melody. what they do best! tender love.
3. piano, bruce springsteen
4, 6. a little looser, guitar, a little bit of scott avett yelling
5. rolling stone says this song is "mature." Really good part in the middle where...
no, wait, this is MTV pop-rock.
7. yeah! Fun and goofy, still piano though.
10. UGH! CMT crap.
11. good! goofy stop-and-start
Breaks my damn heart.